Skylight (https://skylight.digital/) is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
We’re looking for a UX Designer to join our talented team of technologists in driving this movement forward.
You’ll be a key part of our small, but rapidly growing team, which consists of former Presidential Innovation Fellows, founders of 18F, and members of the U.S. Digital Service.
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging, but highly rewarding.
Your initial engagement will be with the State of Connecticut, which is one of the first state & local governments undertaking an organizational-wide digital transformation. The initial focus of this transformation is on improving services related to serving the needs of children and families. These services range from reducing infant deaths to improving early childhood development.
Our job is to help jumpstart and accelerate the State of Connecticut’s transformation through high-impact activities such as:
- Identifying and prioritizing which services to improve through user experience research and technical discovery
- Creating a comprehensive, flexible roadmap for change to guide decisions and actions around service improvement, policymaking, and budgeting
- Instituting new digital policies & standards (for example, API standards)
- Developing and empowering digital talent throughout the state government (for example, via recruiting, training, and coaching)
- Executing on tightly-scoped delivery projects to set the foundation for broad-based change, as well as demonstrate the art of the possible
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with UX researchers to execute a user-centered design process
- Take research findings from abstract recommendations to low- to medium-fidelity designs
- Observe usability testing, and iterate on designs based upon usability testing findings
- Identify the appropriate point to take designs into high fidelity, and execute accordingly
- Take an uncompromising stance on designing for full accessibility
- Incorporate UX into agile development sprints
- Evangelize user-centered design practices and their value to the rest of the team, stakeholders, and subject matter experts
- Promote empathy for the general public and government workers, as we seek to improve their tools and technology
- Represent Skylight's culture of delivery when interacting with government stakeholders and other contractors
What we’re looking for:
- Experience working as a UX or interaction designer within a multidisciplinary, agile team format
- Strong command of current interaction design best practices, including responsive design
- Ability to work with existing design systems
- Comfort with having your work critiqued or criticized by your team or by users
- Familiarity with conducting user research in the development of services / products, including: writing user research plans, conducting research activities (such as user interviews and contextual inquiry), and facilitating participatory design workshops
- A good grasp on the tools of the trade, and the ability to be nimble and resourceful if constraints arise
- Ability to communicate the purpose and need for user-centered practice with diverse audiences
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values (https://skylight.digital/culture/)
- Ability to travel to Hartford, Connecticut frequently
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Competitive salary
- Profit-sharing and/or bonus opportunities
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and more
- 401k match at 10% of your salary
- Unlimited paid time-off policy
- $2,000 continuing education allowance, including conference events
- Time to focus on activities such as learning & development, open-source projects, and community outreach
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
- Potential for relocation assistance if willing to move to a HUBZone area (https://maps.certify.sba.gov/hubzone/map). (Read more about us being a HUBZone: https://skylight.digital/about/#hubzone.)
Note that we participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.