Java Software Engineer
Skylight (https://skylight.digital/) is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
You’ll be a key part of our small, but rapidly growing team, which consists of former Presidential Innovation Fellows, founders of 18F, and members of the U.S. Digital Service. (It’s an exciting time to join us!)
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging, but highly rewarding: millions of people — from veterans to immigrants — depend on these critical government services every day.
Your initial challenge will be to help modernize the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' (USCIS') Electronic Immigration System (ELIS), the purpose of which is to streamline the process for applying and becoming a U.S. citizen. On average, USCIS receives approximately 84,000 naturalization applications per month and naturalizes roughly 700,000 new U.S. citizens each year. The current system for processing naturalization applications is slow and inefficient. And that's where you come in!
What you’ll do:
- Engineer web applications, as part of a cross-functional team that includes user experience designers, product managers, engineers, and other functional specialists
- Achieve technical excellence by advocating for and adhering to lean-agile engineering principles and practices such as simple design and automated testing
- Represent Skylight's culture of delivery when interacting with government stakeholders (such as the U.S. Digital Service) and other contractors
What we’re looking for:
- Experience with automated testing and related technologies (such as JUnit and Selenium)
- Experience with software design patterns and microservices-based architectures
- Experience with basic DevOps practices and tools (Jenkins, CI/CD, AWS CloudWatch)
- Experience working in an agile team format
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values (https://skylight.digital/culture/)
- Able to work on-site in Washington DC
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Highly competitive salary
- Profit-sharing and/or bonus opportunities
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and more
- 401k match at 10% of your salary
- Unlimited paid time-off policy
- $2,000 continuing education allowance, including conference events
- Time to focus on activities such as learning & development, open-source projects, and community outreach
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
- Potential for relocation assistance if willing to move to a HUBZone area (https://maps.certify.sba.gov/hubzone/map). (Read more about us being a HUBZone: https://skylight.digital/about/#hubzone.)
Note that we participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.