Skylight (https://skylight.digital/) is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
We’re looking for a UX Designer to join our talented team of technologists in driving this movement forward.
You’ll be a key part of our small, but rapidly growing team, which consists of former Presidential Innovation Fellows, founders of 18F, and members of the U.S. Digital Service.
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging, but highly rewarding.
Your initial challenge will be to help modernize the U.S. Air Force’s (USAF’s) highly-complex cost accounting system called Job Order Cost and Accounting System (JOCAS). The USAF relies on JOCAS to provide timely, accurate, and reliable data in support of essential financial functions such as payroll. In general, the government has struggled to make financial systems such as JOCAS (and there are a lot of these types of systems out there!) great user experiences. Our goal is to produce an experience that will not only further advance the USAF’s mission, but also serve as a financial-system exemplar for all of government. So if you’re looking for a unique and impactful user-experience design challenge, this is it!
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with UX researchers to execute a user-centered design process
- Take research findings from abstract recommendations to low- to medium-fidelity designs
- Observe usability testing, and iterate on designs based upon usability testing findings
- Identify the appropriate point to take designs into high fidelity, and execute accordingly
- Take an uncompromising stance on designing for full accessibility
- Incorporate UX into agile development sprints
- Evangelize user-centered design practices and their value to the rest of the team, stakeholders, and subject matter experts
- Promote empathy for the general public and government workers, as we seek to improve their tools and technology
- Represent Skylight's culture of delivery when interacting with government stakeholders and other contractors
What we’re looking for:
- Experience working as a UX or interaction designer within a multidisciplinary, agile team format
- Strong command of current interaction design best practices, including responsive design
- Ability to work with existing design systems
- Comfort with having your work critiqued or criticized by your team or by users
- Familiarity with conducting user research in the development of services/products, including: writing user research plans, conducting research activities (such as user interviews and contextual inquiry), and facilitating participatory design workshops
- A good grasp on the tools of the trade, and the ability to be nimble and resourceful if constraints arise
- Ability to communicate the purpose and need for user-centered practice with diverse audiences
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values (https://skylight.digital/culture/)
- Ability to travel to Montgomery, Alabama from time to time
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Competitive salary
- Profit-sharing and/or bonus opportunities
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and more
- 401k match at 10% of your salary
- Unlimited paid time-off policy
- $2,000 continuing education allowance, including conference events
- Incentives for living in a HUBZone area (https://maps.certify.sba.gov/hubzone/map), including relocation assistance and a monthly stipend to help offset the cost of rent or mortgage. (Read more about us being a HUBZone: https://skylight.digital/about/#hubzone.)
- Time to focus on activities such as learning & development, open-source projects, and community outreach
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
Note that we participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.