Skylight (https://skylight.digital/) is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
We’re looking for a UX Researcher to join our talented team of technologists in driving this movement forward.
You’ll be a key part of our small, but rapidly growing team, which consists of former Presidential Innovation Fellows, founders of 18F, and members of the U.S. Digital Service.
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging, but highly rewarding.
Your initial challenge will be to help modernize the U.S. Air Force’s (USAF’s) highly-complex cost accounting system called Job Order Cost and Accounting System (JOCAS). The USAF relies on JOCAS to provide timely, accurate, and reliable data in support of essential financial functions such as payroll. In general, the government has struggled to make financial systems such as JOCAS (and there are a lot of these types of systems out there!) great user experiences. Our goal is to produce an experience that will not only further advance the USAF’s mission, but also serve as a financial-system exemplar for all of government. So if you’re looking for a unique and impactful user-experience design challenge, this is it!
What you’ll do:
- Find good user research participants
- Apply a mix of quantitative and qualitative user research techniques (for example, user interviews and contextual inquiry) to gain greater empathy for the needs of users
- Clearly communicate research findings with internal and external collaborators
- Translate research findings into service/product design hypotheses
- Employ usability testing to validate those hypotheses
- Guide the direction of the service/product and continually advocate for users
- Collaborate with others as part of a cross-functional team that includes user experience researchers and designers, product managers, engineers, and other functional specialists
- Represent Skylight's culture of delivery when interacting with government stakeholders and other contractors
What we’re looking for:
- Experience working as a UX researcher within a multidisciplinary, agile team format
- A good grasp on the tools of the trade, and the ability to be nimble and resourceful if constraints arise
- Ability to communicate the purpose and need for user-centered methods with diverse audiences
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values (https://skylight.digital/culture/)
- Ability to travel to Montgomery, Alabama from time to time
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Competitive salary
- Profit-sharing and/or bonus opportunities
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and more
- 401k match at 10% of your salary
- Unlimited paid time-off policy
- $2,000 continuing education allowance, including conference events
- Incentives for living in a HUBZone area (https://maps.certify.sba.gov/hubzone/map), including relocation assistance and a monthly stipend to help offset the cost of rent or mortgage. (Read more about us being a HUBZone: https://skylight.digital/about/#hubzone.)
- Time to focus on activities such as learning & development, open-source projects, and community outreach
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
Note that we participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.